PDA

View Full Version : What does CEA Compliant Mean?

Accordsi88
04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I've been looking at Sonics descriptions and I notice that some of the amps are CEA compliant, and some are not. What does it mean, and does it matter?

B91Z28
04-07-2010, 03:32 PM
CEA compliant basically means that the amplifier and or head unit has been tested to meet the CEA standards of what is actually stated it can produce and or output which will be measured in RMS and Signal to Noise Ratio. All of the products are usually tested at 14.4 Volts to get the full potential of what it can produce. Usually you will find a CEA compliant amplifier being more of a name brand type product for example Kicker, MTX, JL Audio, Rockford, Kenwood. That is a short list of manufactures that are CEA compliant.

In my opinion it does matter because you will get what you actually pay for so if you purchase an amp or deck that is not CEA compliant you will not know the actual true output which it is provided to your subs, speakers, etc which means you may not be getting the full potential of your system which can also damage your equipment by under powering or even over powering the speakers and or subs.

Vanimal
04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
...for example Kicker, MTX, JL Audio, Rockford, Kenwood. That is a short list of manufactures that are CEA compliant.

Actually JL Audio doesn't recognize CEA (Consumer Electronics Association):confused:. However most of the big guys do (Kicker, MTX, RF, etc.).

B9 is correct. CEA basically verifies that the advertised specs are in fact true. Even wire can be CEA certified. Check out the Tsunami 1/0 gauge wire. CEA2015 cert printed on the wire's jacket: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20629_Tsunami+GN601S-25.html

B91Z28
04-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Actually JL Audio doesn't recognize CEA (Consumer Electronics Association):confused:. However most of the big guys do (Kicker, MTX, RF, etc.).

B9 is correct. CEA basically verifies that the advertised specs are in fact true. Even wire can be CEA certified. Check out the Tsunami 1/0 gauge wire. CEA2015 cert printed on the wire's jacket: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20629_Tsunami+GN601S-25.html

Thats crazy always thought JL did recognize the CEA but hey they do make awesome equiptment. As well high five on the wire totally forgot that. With CEA wire you will get an actual true 4g wire than a 4g jacket with 8g wire inside like the http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15454_Absolute+KIT-4.html

swilde
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
In mentioning other brands that are CEA-2006 Compliant, the new 2010 Brutus and Zeus amplifiers from Hifonics are all compliant.

B91Z28
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM
finally! now i can sorta stop bashing Hifonics :D

Dr_Z
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
In mentioning other brands that are CEA-2006 Compliant, the new 2010 Brutus and Zeus amplifiers from Hifonics are all compliant.

That's true. But the HFi amps are NOT.

stubbs4434
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Hifonics is okay for people on a budget.

Highs On Bass
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
its funny people bought the hifonics brutus amps day and night, they do not put out the power they claim.

basically cea compliant means that they rate their amps at a specific voltage, ie 14.4 volts with 1% thd or less at 4 ohms. which makes them give an exact wattate. because those that do not rate their amps with cea can take their amps and put them under extreme conditions, like put 18 volts to the amp at .5 ohms and get 5500 watts of power, then call it a 5500 watt amp. even tho the amp that is produced would melt at 18 volts lol.

Highs On Bass
04-15-2010, 10:23 PM
I personally wouln't run any of the amps posted in the poll. shoot me a pm on what your wanting to power, and your budget I'll give you some ideas that will work perfectly!

B91Z28
04-16-2010, 08:11 PM
The new hifonics BRZ and Zeus amplifiers ARE CEA comp, and are a tad bit more expensive now then the older models. Granted I will never run a hifonics amp personally but they are decent and people like em. Also if anyone wants a good opinion on which amp to get or the best bang for ur buck ask everyone on this forum or post a new topic SO you can get the most feedback on a wide range of different amps. ;)

blaube
04-17-2010, 07:31 PM
HiFonics were good amps before Maxxsonics bought them. They were worth the money and under rated. They were a good comparision to Earthquake amps. Now you see the results of what happens to good companies who get bought out by marketing companies.

The Consumer Electronics Association created the CEA-2006 standard to make the companies that want to use the logo use one standard of rating so the consumer can compare apples to apples instead of apple to oranges.
That standard was published in 2003 but came out in 2006. It just so happened to be the next number available to assign to the next standard.

Admin: Here's a link from Sonic... http://blog.sonicelectronix.com/?p=1509