Expert Service 1-877-289-7664 [Hours]

2nd Annual Warehouse Sale!
$show[vbsec2]
+ Reply to Thread

Default Scosche GM09SR turns radio off after engine start

Someone else posted about this similar problem, but I am posting my own because I am not sure which harness he is using.

I bought the Boss 865DBI and the Scosche GM09SR harness with chime.

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado with standard (non-Bose) radio and no OnStar or amplifier. I installed the unit as described in the instructions (was fairly simple with little to get wrong). When I turn on the key (without starting the engine), the radio comes on, works great. No problem at all. When I START the engine, the chime dings a few times, then I hear the relay "click" then the radio shuts off completely. The power button on the radio doesn't turn it on... it's dead. If I turn off the engine, turn the key all the off, pull it out, then put the key back in, and turn it one, radio works again. Start the engine, dead again. Now, last night my wife and I went out to eat. When we left the restaraunt, I started the truck and the radio worked fine. It seems to have something to do with temperature.

I am not the only person having this problem. I've found a ton of other posts around the net talking about the exact same issue, and always to do with this Scosche harness kit.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this, or if anyone else has had this problem.

Just noticed something new about this problem -
    My truck has been sitting out in the sun (it is quite hot inside the cab now) and still had the same problem. I noticed that sometimes when I crank the engine, there is no chime, or sometimes just 2 or 3 short "dings" instead of the array of rapid "dings". When this happens, there is no problem. The radio stays on after engine is started. It may not be a temperature thing afterall. There is something not quite right about this circuit Scosche put in this harness.

This may sound a bit hidge-podge, but with a DMM, find a spare ignition 12V source that you can put a 10A fuze onto and bypass that harness. It's essentially doing the same thing as the harness, but it's worth a try.
    Another option would be to test with your 12v constant going to both your constant and ignition and seeing if that reproduces the issue. If not, then you may have found a solution. If you're unable to find an ignition 12v, then you can do a second run to the battery (10A fuse it) then run it to a SPST switch, then to your HU. Again, a little hodge-podge, but I'm sure less of a headache than what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by CORNDOG View Post
    This may sound a bit hidge-podge, but with a DMM, find a spare ignition 12V source that you can put a 10A fuze onto and bypass that harness. It's essentially doing the same thing as the harness, but it's worth a try.
    Another option would be to test with your 12v constant going to both your constant and ignition and seeing if that reproduces the issue. If not, then you may have found a solution. If you're unable to find an ignition 12v, then you can do a second run to the battery (10A fuse it) then run it to a SPST switch, then to your HU. Again, a little hodge-podge, but I'm sure less of a headache than what you have now.
    Either add a relay on the accesory wire or you should have bought this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C-GMRC-01.html its less expensive than the Scosche one and no need for a relay. Scosche is known for having to add relays on the accesory wire. hope this helped. Do you know how to wire a relay to boost the accesory output of the Scosche part? Do you have a http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...sch-BRLY1.html ?

Default relay ftw!

On a SPDT relay use 86:12v switched output off the harness, 85: Ground, 87:12v switched output to your HU and 30: 12 fused Constant. 87A is not used
    "Why be scared? It's just another car?"
    Business as usual....

Check me out at www.KoncepzAVDesign.com

Update....I purchased a radio for my 2006 silverado and it came with the scosche gm09sr. I , like many, hav e had LOTS of issues with it. The SPDT relay fix is a great idea....when my harness arrived...it was already installed by scosche. My radio has stopped working...buzzer kept going even with all doors shut and seat belts connected.....radio would not shut off when truck was shut down. I temporarily fixed this by removing the radio and harness..and reconnected. I have a RMA set up by sonicelectonix...but I am going to pass on another one of these units.

Spoke with scosche today. Proper reset procedure is all electronic features off...key out..all dome and lights out..doors shut...all for ten minutes after box is disconnected. Then reconnect box and start vehicle. I did this tonight and I have had no issues..but I only used my vehicle for 20 miles. I will update with news in 30 days. If I do experience issues...I'm buying a metro or axxess interface and throwing the scosche in the trash.

Leon

Default Update!!

Update....I have had just one "radio turned off " issue since I reset the module. Seems to have worked well. Hope anyone who has bought it is having good luck too.

Leon